Italy is one of the best destinations for food lovers. It is known to many that some of the best dishes in the world come from Italy. No wonder why Italian dishes are found all across the globe. However, if you want to try authentic Italian cuisines, make sure you eat as the locals do when you get to visit Italy.
Below are some of the best Italian dishes you should try on.
• Pasta – Italy is famous because of its pasta. It offers the authentic Italian pasta; the best of its kind; something that you can’t find elsewhere. Some of the must-try Italian pasta dishes are pasta alla carbonara, which contains Pecorino cheese, eggs, black pepper, and guanciale, which is an Italian cured meat, usually from pork cheeks. Another must try is the Spaghetti alla carbonara, which contains eggs, cheese, bacon, pepper and chili pepper. Spaghetti alla Gricia is also another staple, which contains bacon, cheese, and pepper.
• Pizza – Your stay in Italy will not be complete without trying on their famous pizza. A must-try pizza flavor is Margherita, a simple yet tasty dish. It is made from a crispy thin-crust topped with basil, garlic, tomatoes cheese (mozzarella and parmesan), and olive oil.
• Arancini – It is a dish of stuffed rice balls cooked until crisp and golden brown. Arancini in English is a rice ball, coated in breadcrumbs and fried until crispy. The rice ball contains rice and other savory ingredients like ragu, peas, tomato sauce, and mozzarella cheese.
• Lasagne – It is believed to originate in Naples city. It is a type of paste arranged in layers and topped with ground meat, cheese, vegetables, and authentic Italian sauces such as tomato sauce, béchamel, and ragu. If you want to have a taste of true Italian cuisine, then you shouldn’t miss this dish. There are other variations of lasagne dish but the best one can be found in Italy.
• Osso buco alla Milanese – It is a must-try dish for meat lovers. This dish contains tender veal shanks slowly braised in white wine and served with vegetables and aromatic gremolata. It is a condiment containing lemon zest, parsley, and garlic. Scooping out the creamy marrow from the veal’ bone is the perfect way to end your meal.
• Ribollita – it was tagged as the poor man’s food or cucina povera as the locals say. It was created by servants who collect leftover foods like vegetables and bread from their masters. They boil the leftover foods and turn them into a meal. Ribollita means re-boiled in English. Today, ribollita is turned into a rich and hearty meal, which is a must-have meal in every Tuscany home.
• Gelato – aside from pasta and pizzas, Italy is also famous for its gelato. Your visit to Italy will not be complete without tasting the smooth and creamy gelato. If you love ice cream, then know that gelato is a better version of ice cream. It is a perfect way to end a mouth-watering Italian dish.